The undergraduate ESE program utilizes a field-centered preparation model leading to approval for State of Florida Certification in Exceptional Student Education with ESOL Endorsement and Reading Endorsement. The rigorous program prepares teachers of students with disabilities in K-12 settings with coursework and field experiences that focus on the necessary skills to assess, plan, teach, and evaluate the education of students with high-incidence disabilities, including those who are ESOL. Students are prepared to teach learners with high-incidence disabilities from ages 5-22.
This initial teacher preparation program will prepare teachers who will demonstrate the following competencies in coursework and K-12 school settings to effectively educate students with high-incidence disabilities, including those who are ESOL.
1. Participating in consultation and implementation with the general education teacher to provide special education services for students with disabilities.
2. Developing and implementing appropriate individual educational plans to meet the needs of the student.
3. Effecting appropriate instruction for children with exceptionalities in the least restrictive environment.
4. Managing and maintaining a safe classroom environment and appropriate student behavior.
5. Planning for inclusion and collaboration with parents and other education personnel.
6. Effectively planning for students with disabilities from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
7. Providing appropriate literacy assessment and remediation in all aspects of reading and language arts for culturally linguistically diverse exceptional students.
Diagnostic-prescriptive teaching and management skills are to be demonstrated with students with high-incidence disabilities who range in age from 5 to 22 years old, and who represent multicultural, multilingual backgrounds. The Florida Education of Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) competencies
- Behavioral Specialist
- Special Education Administrator
- Speech and Audio Therapist
- Special Needs teacher
- Teacher for Children with Autism
- Teacher for Children with Learning Disabilities
- Vocational Training Paraprofessional Counselor: Resident, School, Youth